Why would you shoot with film? Why would you take a train instead of plane? Or take the longer scenic route home from work, when you could take the highway? Why would you cook a meal instead of ordering the same meal online? Or write a letter instead of just hitting the like button. The fact is, in a fast paced world, there are pros and cons to speed. And more recently, we are seeing more of the cons to such an “insta” life.
For myself, I shoot with both digital and film, but film has taught me more about patience and process. Here is how patience and process has improved my ability to capture moments with film.
- Scope out the scene (could take 30min-1hr): Before I even begin shooting, I usually walk/skate (more on that later) around the area and see what I’m attracted to.
- Choose a scene and be patient: After I have selected a few spots, I then familiarize myself with what’s going on before shooting. After all, you are around people and you need to be “welcomed in” if you want to capture certain moments.
- Select Angle/Lighting: Working with film has also made me appreciate shadows more than before. Not that I didn’t realize the importance of shadows, but especially for B&W, the timing of the shadows and the angle can make or break a shot.
- Relax and be patient: This perhaps is the number one reason that has kept me hooked on film. You have to be relaxed and wait for the moments to come to you and not chase them.
- Make your shots count: It’s a different feeling when you leave the house knowing your max is 36 or 72. I’ve never shot more than 72 pics in a day. What effect does this have on your shoot? You are literally editing in real-time what you want to capture. I have 5 shots left… I’ll do 1 more here… two there… and two over there. That’s a big difference.
But, this isn’t an all or nothing scenario of course. It is though, a you should definitely try this out if you haven’t scenario. Make a day of it.
Buy two roles (72 shots): https://www.ilfordphoto.com/hp5-plus-35mm
Print (if you want): https://www.mpix.com/
Cool Channel to check out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHaGhiG7VS9JAkGYRsgOBGg
Unsplash Profile: https://unsplash.com/@john_money
Take a friend with you (36 shots each)!